Sunday, September 7, 2008

God loves a good joke


When you come into a marriage, you bring all kinds of stuff, you know? There's the base personality that God built in, then there are the habits, traditions, and thinking style of your family of origin.

Shane and I are really complete opposites, I believe. On top of the differing ways we were raised, he's laid back and I'm driven. With 13 years of marriage and 17 years of relationship behind us, for the most part we've learned how to merge these differences into successful daily life while avoiding clashes.

Today however, we threw sparks. It was probably my fault. Maybe.

Being driven means that there is always a never-ending to-do list in my head. It's not only the list of things I need to do, but things I need to have the kids do or things Shane needs to follow up on. They never leave. Ever. Sometimes they get so heavy my shoulders can't hold anymore and I break.

I wish I could be inside the brain of a laid back person. It must be similar to a never ending vacation. Not a vacation for me, mind you, because I work on my vacations-work to keep everyone happy, fed, clean, and all our stuff & events organized. It must be like being on vacation with a type A person who does most of the work for you...

Does God think it's funny to match up two people like us? You know he's sees it coming when I have my agenda going full speed in my head, the day planned out with tasks for everyone and Shane...well, doesn't. He may have rightly planned a nap, it is the Sabbath after all, and his day off from work...Does God plant the idea in our tween's head to go watch the football game at Memaw's house? Although I'm sure it's not God who whispers in my ear, "Nothing will get done yet again this weekend..." but you know He saw it coming.

I neglected to blog about how irritated I was on our trip-so much so that I couldn't make myself open my Bible study until after we got home. I won't detail why-it was probably my fault then, too (well, at least a little). I am thankful that even though Shane wasn't thrilled with my delivery of such irritation today, he kissed me goodbye and held my hand for a moment before volunteering to load up all the kids for his mom's (I actually had it on my agenda that he'd take them all, so he scored, lol). Now I can freely work on my Bible study this afternoon ;)

I do have a good guy...but if you find the "Type A personality" lying around that was supposed to be pumped into his brain at his formation, give me a call, it might help us out!

9 comments:

... said...

Sheesh, and I thought I needed to lighten up!!! :D

Wendy, we all have days like these and you are preggers!!! I am not, I only get extreme PMS! Same thing though...hormones get us all whacked out!

Hang on to that ledge!

Wendy said...

Hey! I refuse to let pregnancy change my attitute! Just like I never get over emotional during my PMS week...I have real, legit feelings and I expect to be listened to. Dang it, every month I have to apologize for those legit feelings a few days later...

Na, this isn't a big deal, it's just long term, lol. Our personalities aren't ever changing, lol.

Summer said...

Is it wrong that I am somewhat offended by your comment that driven is the opposite of laid-back? lol And you're probably right that being inside the head of someone like Shane, ok and myself, would be a vacation. Though you have to know that we have the looming to-do lists in our head (in a very distant corner) as well. But fun, distractions, creativity, the moment always take precedence. We're driven; we'll just get there in our own time thank you very much. hehehe Though in being a mom, and a lady of the home, you automatically have to be somewhat Type A, which is what stresses me out....I don't want to have things I have to do!I only want to do things I want to do. fo' real!
Oh, and two Type A parents? That would make for some really stressed out children, don't ya think? And don't feel bad about throwing sparks....ya gotta keep that fire lit somehow lol

Wendy said...

Well...what is the opposite of laid back then?

I highly suspect Shane has the same lists, but he suppresses them and they come out as all sorts of sicknesses (usually on his days off).

Yep, Shane is totally on his own time table, lol. Especially when it comes to arriving to anything on time ;)

Summer said...

uptight? lol just kidding. I'm just sayin' laid-back is not equal to a lack of goals.

Wendy said...

Okay, I'll give you that...although I'm not as uptight as several people we know ;)

In my house laid back somehow transforms into "why meet goals today that can be met tomorrow..."

Love ya Summer :)
Oh, and you aren't a true laid back girl...you're some kind of hybrid I think.

Anonymous said...

Well, my to do list has turned into a jar filled with little slips of paper. I have yet to pull one out and do the task on it, I just keep putting more in. LOL I am learning to slow down, have fun and do what is necessary.

I do feel your pain. I know what it is like to be married to someone who would rather hold the couch down than get up and do something.

Leah

... said...

Okay Wendy and Summer...I love ya both...but neither one of you are laid back...that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

ducking as I run out of the comment screen!

SuperMom Blues said...

My problem is that I have a never ending to-do list alongside a never ending ability to get extremely overwhelmed. I look around ever day at my wreck of a home and just want to throw up my hands and say "forget it".

And as for God having a a sense of humor? Well, he DID create the platypus . . .